Next Generation Science Standards
- 5-ESS3-1 Earth and Human Activity
- Obtain and combine information about ways individual communities use science ideas to protect the Earth’s resources and environment.
- Disciplinary Core Idea ESS3.C. Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Human activities in agriculture, industry and everyday life have had major effects on the land, vegetation, streams, ocean, air and even outer space. But individuals and communities are doing things to help protect Earth’s resources and environments (5-ESS3-1)
Common Core State Standards: English Language Arts
- Key Ideas and Details
Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
- Craft and Structure:
Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 5 topic or subject area
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas:
Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably
- Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 4-5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
- Research to Build and Present Knowledge
Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
Common Core State Standards: Mathematics
- Represent and interpret data